Hello Friends and Families!
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I spent time back in Buffalo and was surprised to hear that you got more snow here in Cambridge than we did! Here are some updates about things in Room 108.
I have posted two letters that were sent home over vacation on our blog. One is from Kathy Greeley, the Literacy Coach at G&P, who will be joining our room. The other is about our upcoming Social Studies unit called Constructing Cambridge.
Our Reading Workshop, Writing Workshop, and Social Studies are coming to a close. This week and next week we will wrap up our Pilgrim Unit. The students will put on a production called, "The Mayflower Show." Our production will be held at 8:30 am on Friday, January 14. We will also have student work to look through after the show, including their historical narratives, research notebooks, and other work.
Here is what we need help with:
1. Families to bring bagels and coffee for before the show.
2. Volunteers to help set up our stage Thursday, January 14th. We will rearrange furniture and will need some tools to hang things. This will begin at about 3:00.
3. Costumes: Costumes for students are optional. We discussed that students can wear a costume if they would like to but it is not required. Students may dress their part, bring a prop, or simply come as they are.
4. Scripts: Scripts will come home by the end of the week so students can practice their lines.
If you are interested in helping with food or set-up, please contact me, Zazy, or Judy.
In Math we are starting a new unit. Our new unit is called "Perimeter, Angles, and Area." This week we are focusing on units of measurement, guidelines for measurement, and finding perimeter.
Today I sent home a letter for you regarding Homework. This letter explains the purpose behind homework in Room 108, some guidelines and helpful hints to completing homework, and a letter about our current math unit. There are two changes two the homework packet: bonus work and word study. I spent a lot of time over break reading through some research, suggestions from other educators, and the feedback from each of you. While I was not able to accomodate all the suggestions, I believe the packet will help answer a lot of questions I received.
We did not have share this week but it will resume again next week. Our theme for the next three weeks is Favorite Places in Cambridge, to go along with our upcoming unit. Students may bring in an object, picture, or tell a story for their share. The Share Schedule for next week is below.
Monday: Maia
Tuesday: Hersh and Evan
Wednesday: Samuel M. and Owen
Thursday: Ashiyana and Tommy
Sincerely,
Meg
The blog is really nice now - thank you for the links to resources and for posting material sent home. Much easier to find here than in the big pile on the floor by my desk :)
ReplyDelete